Unknown to many folks, there exist a slew of unrecorded issues that can affect real property. Examples include (but are certainly not limited to):
• Unpaid water bills or multiple water accounts
• Board up of abandoned property by the City
• Grass/Weed cutting by the City
• City charges for Snow Removal
• Ordinance Violations for broken steps, missing railings, etc.
• Unpaid fees for Inspections/Certificates of Occupancy/ACRs
• Special assessments for paving, sidewalks, sewer, etc.
If you are purchasing a property on land contract or for cash, I always recommend that you purchase an owner’s policy. Protect yourself and your investment even further by closing with an experienced, professional title company.
When people ask me why they need title insurance, I always ask, “How much time do you have?”